Ms. Lisa Fischer
Badass & Beautiful
“Lisa Fischer in concert is addictive. Every performance is so enriching, so exciting, so transcendent that you want more. With remarkable vocal range and vocabulary, Fischer can sing soul, jazz, rock, gospel, pop, folk and classical with equal facility and authority. She often mixes styles in the same song, sometimes in the same vocal line. Her approach tends to be intimate, artful and almost meditative, accompanied by her interpretive dancing, but she also can cut loose and funk with fierceness and rock with abandon.” (Minneapolis Star Tribune, July 2016)
After four decades of featured background singing with icons like Luther Vandross, The Rolling Stones, Chaka Khan, Tina Turner, and Nine Inch Nails, MS. LISA FISCHER set out to take center stage with her own humble, heartfelt song. The 2013 Best Documentary Oscar winning film “Twenty Feet from Stardom” altered the course of Lisa’s musical journey, telling her story, with clips of her legendary duets with Sting or with Mick Jagger on “Gimme Shelter”, left audiences eager to see and hear more, so Lisa took the chance to set out on her own reinventing classic songs with her co-conspirators JC Maillard and Grand Baton. Their organic fusion of Caribbean psychedelic soul and jazzy progressive rock ignited Lisa’s flexibility and freedom of expression, awakening her lifelong desire to make music that heals but still rocks the house.
While Lisa’s range is legendary, her greatest gift is the ability to connect, to reach the hearts of her listeners. Raised in the Fort Greene neighborhood of Brooklyn, she emerged from New York’s fervent studio scene in the early 1980s, sang for two decades with legendary vocalist Luther Vandross, and released “So Intense”, earning her first Best R&B Performance Grammy with “How Can I Ease The Pain”. She joined the Rolling Stones for their 1989 Steel Wheels tour, and continued to grace their stage for the next 26 years. Lisa’s passion for constant growth and experimentation with different styles invited recent collaborations with jazz pianist Taylor Eigsti, Sting, Bruce Springsteen, Michael McDonald, Eric Krasno, Talib Kweli, Billy Childs and YoYo Ma, the BBC Proms / Jules Buckley and the Metropole Orkest, Alonzo King LINES Ballet, Anna Deavere Smith’s “Notes from the Field” for HBO, and especially her full evening program The Classic Lisa Fischer with Grand Baton and Seattle Symphony, Cincinnati Symphony and the National Philharmonic.
With spiritual truth-telling as her compass and loving kindness as her guide, MS. LISA FISCHER continues her creative journey; destination unknown.
- She brought down the house in the single best show I’ve seen in the many years I’ve visited Birdland.” (The New York Times)
- “Sometimes you just have to close your eyes and bask in the raw talent of an artist…a powerhouse with a monumental range.” – Daily Star
- “astonishing range, perfect intonation, mastery of the stage. Her glamorous-girl-next-door quality makes fans all over the world think she’s their own secret discovery.” (Broadway World)
Colleagues are Saying:
- “I think she’s a freak of nature, so incredibly versatile, so talented.” – Chris Botti
- “That’s a powerhouse voice. I think of her as a star. She’s a star,” – Sting
- “a great entertainer” – Patti Austin
- “Lisa’s as powerful as the rest of the guys put together. She has an amazing power, energy, and projection. She really kills it. – Keith Richards
and Lisa’s Fans Say:
- Lisa, you were incredible. From the first note you uttered to the last, you held us in your spell. Thank you for stepping out into the spotlight and sharing your gift with us. (Wendy Haecker, June 13, 2016)
- Absolutely mesmerizing, a phenomenal show. You are truly a once in a millennium talent and such a lovely human being (Tekneshia Beauford, June 6, 2016)
- Still reeling from the performance you and your band created last night. I am inspired beyond words. You have altered my path and I am so grateful. (Michelle Sellars, June 1, 2016)
- Two days later and I am still hearing and feeling where you all took us that evening… still inside the music you made…. thanks (Robert Downes, May 22, 2016)
- Hypnotic and passionate, thank you for an amazing evening (Gayle Welsh, May 22, 2016)
- Concert of the Year! Thanks for an evening of amazing musical wholeness. My friends in London have been notified to run and get tickets! (Kristian Valentiner, May 13, 2016)
- Worth traveling the world. Any venue, any city, any time… (Cornelius Loewenstein, May 13, 2016)